View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ginger Beer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:58 am 

dufflight wrote:
I've got a kit somewhere. Remember when we used to make it as kids. Brother still has the scar from the glass exploding. :duck:

Yep, I got woken up by SWMBO one night when we lived in a rough neighborhood saying that some one had smashed the back window of the house. Despite thinking "if they got passed the Rotti who sleeps below the window in question what the hell were they going to do to me" I manned up and crept to the back room pick handle raised above head ready to strike :swing: only to soil myself when another of the GB bottles exploded right next to me :scared2: .

I would like to note that I slept through the first bottle exloding :blackeye:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm 

The recipes I have posted are all non-alcohic as I understand it the majority of the fermentaion occurs within the plant so very little alcohol is within the bottled product. Are the other recipes here that don't use a plant initially alcoholic?

Simo, as a kid i remember we stopped making ginger beer at home when the last batch exploded one summer. I am going to bottle mine in PET bottles until I get a better understanding of it, cleaning up shards of sticky glass does not sound like much fun to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 pm 

Location: Townsville, North Qld Dry tropical climate, cute sheilas
exploding bottle syndrome (Bottle bombs) happens to many people, including me. My first, and only , attempt at making a non-alc Ginger beer went up in a shower of glass (there was an impact ring of embedded glass in the roof of the shed!) I made the mistake of adding too much sugar by mistake, and not allowing it to feremnt out enough before bottling. These days, I use a Cooper's or Morgan's kit with Buderim ginger refresher cordial added in for extra flavour, and anywhere from .5 kg to 2 kg Dextrose, depending on how fun I want Jaymie to be :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 pm 

Axl wrote:
anywhere from .5 kg to 2 kg Dextrose, depending on how fun I want Jaymie to be :)

Love it :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:34 pm 

Location: sunbury victoria australia.cool mountain zone hot in summer cold in winter
Brings back memories when we lived in the caravan park in taree exploding bottles wrecked our new anex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm 

First bottling today, split the plant and kept both halves so I will be able to bottle twice the volume next week. :joy:
Attachment:
1December2010 027.jpg
1December2010 027.jpg [ 33.01 KiB | Viewed 3759 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:27 am 

Yummy, just realised we have never done this and our kids wouldn't have a clue about ginger beer plants. Perhaps its not too late to create some memories. Thanks for reminding me Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm 

Location: Townsville, North Qld Dry tropical climate, cute sheilas
Put down the Xmas Day Ginger beer today :) But due to fridge space, this will require Jaymie and I to drink the remaining half a keg of G/B that is currently in the fridge before the 22nd Dec. I was worring about whether we would be able to do it, but after speaking to Bob the Builder and Barak Obama, I figured "Yes We Can"!! :) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :help:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:54 pm 

:D Good to see you'll be putting in all that effort so you have Xmas drinks :thumb:

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=8219

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 pm 

Thinking we might try our hand at an alcholic GB this year. has anyone got a tried and true recipe they could share that gives a nice gingery brew that is not to sweet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 pm 

Last ginger beer I made we chucked in some stones green ginger ale for a bit of extra kick. On the shop bought side of things, this one was more like beer with ginger, as opposed to the usual sweet soft drink style http://www.jamessquire.com.au/blog/inde ... chops-ale/

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:29 pm 

There are a few nice brewed ones around on the shop shelves now (along side some really nasty ginger wine ones) but when the good gear like Matsoes (or whatever it's name is) is around $28 for a six pack it would be nice to brew some quality stuff myself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:03 pm 

I use this ginger beer kit and the results were delicious!

http://www.morgansbrewing.com.au/index.html

I've also grated about half a kilo of fresh ginger into a pot and added fresh lime and lemon juice, water and 2 kilos of fine white sugar and made a very heavy syrup on low heat.
I then let it cool and added half a cup of dried ginger powder and stirred it into the cooled syrup.
This is important because if you add the ginger powder when it's hot it'll sink to the bottom and stick and burn.

I added this strained mix to a sterilized fermenter and added enough water to make up 20 liters total.
I mixed in a sachet of Champagne yeast and left it to bubble away for 2 weeks until it slowed right down.

I bottled it into 750ml Coopers plastic beer bottles with half a teaspoon of sugar in the bottom.
This one really needed a good month before it opening and I have no idea what percentage it was but it certainly had a kick.