View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pigs Pigs Pigs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 pm 

Is anybody out there running pigs ?

I, unfortunately, am not able to keep them but I know what wonderful, intelligent animals they are and think it'd be great if we could get a few pig owners on the forum.

I'm particularly interested in the "heritage" varieties such as Gloucestershire Old Spot, Saddlebacks, and so on

And while I can't raise 'em, I'm reasonably adept at using them once they've had a trip to the abbatoir.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Pigs Pigs Pigs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:49 pm 

Hi Chilli,

You can still have cheap fresh pork (esp living in the hills) with out having to raise pigs in you back yard. There are thousands of wild boars out there in the bush just waiting to be caught.

Attachment:
Hunting.jpg
Hunting.jpg [ 23.04 KiB | Viewed 5963 times ]

Hunting pigs is good for the environment as they destroy native vegetation and out compete or even eat many native fauna.

It is a great form of exercise (I don't hunt atm because I am so unfit) for you and the dogs

Bonus is free meat for you and the dogs (makes dog ownership more environmentally friendly/carbon neutral)

Wild boar may not be the fatty type of pork you are after and you have to mind for parasites but the price is good and it is considered a delicacy in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 pm 

It's definitly nice to know a pig farmer. A high schooler raises some about 15 minutes from here and often sells the little 30-40 pounders for the pit for $20-$30 :thunbs:
60-80 pounders make great Cochon de Lait. Bigger than that you go ahead and butcher for all the goodies. Pork or bacon as seasoning meat makes almost everything taste better :rock: I wish I could raise them, although I was offered a grown vietnamese pig free to a good home. I'm afraid if I get one I would have pushed the line in my suburban neighborhood to far and my neighbors would break up my little mini farm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:10 pm 

Simo wrote:
Hi Chilli,

You can still have cheap fresh pork (esp living in the hills) with out having to raise pigs in you back yard. There are thousands of wild boars out there in the bush just waiting to be caught.

Attachment:
Hunting.jpg

Hunting pigs is good for the environment as they destroy native vegetation and out compete or even eat many native fauna.

It is a great form of exercise (I don't hunt atm because I am so unfit) for you and the dogs

Bonus is free meat for you and the dogs (makes dog ownership more environmentally friendly/carbon neutral)

Wild boar may not be the fatty type of pork you are after and you have to mind for parasites but the price is good and it is considered a delicacy in Europe.

The wild boars are nasty fouled by their glands. The meat even stinks up the house while cooking it. The sows on the other hand are very good. Young boars If your up to it can be cut... then purged on corn for a couple months
As bad as it sounds we cull the boars and drag them to a pit and lime them. A sow will have about 4 litters a year and about 4-8 piglets per litter and raise most of them because a sow is a very protective mom. It doesn't take long before they take over an area. I understand they are even moving into urban houston killing dogs and cats and distroying peoples flowerbeds. I understand They are hunting them out of helicopters over there to get numbers down. But like Simo I encourage people to hunt them to help native wildlife compete. Catch dogs are best way to hunt them because they go nocternal as soon as a little hunting pressure begins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:08 pm 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Hmmmm. Not so sure about hunting wild pigs. We live near a huge swamp which is reputed to have wild pigs in it that we see utes with dogs in cages going into. I'm told the dogs (wearing breastplate and spiked collar) bail up the pig so the hunter can get to it with a knife. Not my idea of sport, I'm afraid.

Local rumour has it that the hunters release pregnant sows into the swamp to ensure plenty of fun and games in a few months. Nothing to do with clearing out feral animals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 pm 

Yes unfortunately some idiots do give pig hunters a bad name by actively spreading them around, and it is not like they need any help with that. Estimate numbers of wild pigs in Australia range up to 16 million!!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing the environment a favor by culling as many as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm 

a very good friend of mine has a free-range Old Blacks http://kingvalleyfreerange.tripod.com/

The meat is delicious :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm 

A lot of the small males they cut the nuts out of so they grow larger. I to shot a lot of pigs as a kid. Only went with dogs once cos my brother was into chasing them. And thats what we had to do. Pig ran into the cotton. Dogs chased the pig. We chased the dogs. :bash: Pig jumped a few rows and doubled back. Dogs didn't see it. :confused: Then the chasing was in reverse with us in front. :fart: Pig was faster than the brother so I got to see it throw him into the air. Tusk punched a hole the doc could put his little finger into beside his spine. I was pissed that I had to run around when I could of dropped the pig with a rifle before it even got into the cotton. Was funny to see the brother get tossed into the air. Was a lucky boy, pig only had to be an inch to the side. 88kgs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 pm 

I like the idea of running some small pigs...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 am 

Vietnamese pot belly is a small pig, not sure how good the meat yeild would be but would not take up as much room in the freezer or on a small land holding.

Attachments:
Vietnamese-pot-bellied-pig-14038.jpg
Vietnamese-pot-bellied-pig-14038.jpg [ 101.04 KiB | Viewed 5942 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am 

Good discussion !

Simo, BRB - love the idea of wild pig and would like to play around with some at some point however, I'm not going to be going out hunting them. No gun, no real desire to have a gun and the kelpie is a bit light on for pig chasing ! While I do have a couple of big-arse knives that were useful when I spent a lot of time working in the bush, I no longer see myself rugby tackling a charger in the scrub and sticking it.

The little Vietnamese pig looks pretty interesting though - might do some more reading on them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm 

When I visited the north of Thailand up in the jungles, the little remote villages had small pigs living underneath every bamboo house.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 pm 

Yeah, we were up at Chiang Mai in late 2008 and went into the hills north of there and they were certainly around. Don't know why, but never thought of looking for them back here. Funny how sometimes I just don't make those obvious connections :crazy:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm 

Yep, North of Chiang Mai in the mountainous areas, interesting country, and very interesting to see how people live up there where there are no roads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 pm 

Its the same all over SE Asia, Evey pole home as a few pigs in the long drop, now that is what I call a Bio Max septic system, very efficent too as any food not fully digested by the human is cleaned up by the pigs.

Chilli, Kelpies make some of the best pig dogs, they are too fast to get stuck by the pig and make a hell of a racket when they find one so you always know where they are.