View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pigs Pigs Pigs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:19 pm 

Interesting picture on this one, trying to make the pig look huge... http://www.news.com.au/national/killer- ... 5827486568

Pig hanging from the back of the ute close to the camera man, guy leaning on the door in the background. Makes the pig look bigger than him.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Yep. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I didn't want anyone to feel embarrassed if they found out after they'd said something about SFM that they might not have said if they'd known.

For the record, I write two stories with photos each month and send them off electronically. The mag is published in Bowral and I've never met any of them, but they all seem a jolly nice lot of people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:36 am 

pistolknight wrote:
Granny Smith wrote:
Mate here CD hunts wild pigs when he has time, the bacon is an unbelievable flavor, we will pay him a visit when you are here

Dunno how I missed this Nocky - sorry !

Sounds great - I'm in :thumb:

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm 

No worries CD I'm used to being ignored and don't take offense :bat:

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 pm 

Granny Smith wrote:
For the record, I write two stories with photos each month and send them off electronically. The mag is published in Bowral and I've never met any of them, but they all seem a jolly nice lot of people.

How do you go keeping up with ideas? Two a month is a fair bit over a long period of time..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
I've been doing it for two years now. Sometimes the publisher tells me what he wants, but most times I have ideas either through contacts (as you know) or I see something in the paper about a suitable topic. In the end we negotiate what I will do. I bought some passionfruit the other day with a label on with a phone number, so I'll suggest that to the publisher and see if he likes the idea. I'm always looking for topics, so if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear about them. Anything from 0.5 acre to about 1000 acres so long as it doesn't require lots of capital outlay is considered a small farm. I meet some great people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm 

well I got published, it is on the streets now :rock:

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 pm 

Granny Smith wrote:
I've been doing it for two years now. Sometimes the publisher tells me what he wants, but most times I have ideas either through contacts (as you know) or I see something in the paper about a suitable topic. In the end we negotiate what I will do. I bought some passionfruit the other day with a label on with a phone number, so I'll suggest that to the publisher and see if he likes the idea. I'm always looking for topics, so if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear about them. Anything from 0.5 acre to about 1000 acres so long as it doesn't require lots of capital outlay is considered a small farm. I meet some great people.

Read your articles GS, well think it was yours, the one on Marron was excellent, I love them, unfortunately was in Pemberton in September last year and over indulged and ended up with severe gout :bad: man it hurt so now am not game enough to eat them again and to get this back on topic great story about companion grazing and pigs

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 pm 

Havent bought that mag for a few years but I'll grab a copy of this one. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am 

Thanks PK. Yes, the marron co-op one was mine. It's the second story I've done down there. The first one, late last year, was specifically about the operation of one of the members.

My stories for April were sent off this week. One on Wessex Saddleback pigs and the other on a Christmas tree farm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm 

Back to the Pigs, CD the bacon is Magnificent, I will have to invest in one of those flash smokers you have, when the AP expansion is finished :confused: oh and her new kitchen :ahhh: why can't we get the important things first :confused:

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 pm 

Thanks mate - glad you like it !

You're already nearly there - I just smoked that lot in the Weber. It's not worth firing the big bugger up unless you're doing a large batch. For Don, Rick, and yourself it was only one pork belly, which is a pretty small run.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:09 pm 

Chilli, can you talk me through smoking on the Weber? Is it a case of sawdust/woodchips on the coals?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:18 pm 

GS I will steal CD's thunder, on my Weber you can fold sides up to put in more bricks or smoking material, I fold them over and put another tray ontop, only light one side about 15 bricks, put aluminum foil between heat and cooking tray as per picture to stop direct cooking, I found some wood pellets made by BBQ Delights, instructions for this step also on pack, but make a foil pouch by ripping of about 12" of foil, fold in half and then fold sides in to seal and make about a six inch pocket, put in a third of a cup of pellets in poket and fold over the top to seal, put a small hole in top centre of pouch (I used a medium screw driver but a hole of about 600 or 1/4" will be fine, place pouch on heat beads hole to top and wait til smoke comes out of hole and put on lid, smoke will last about 25 minutes, method 2 is to set up the same but soak some saw dust in water (not dripping wet) and place on heat beads, problem here is smoke will only last 10 minutes or so, you need to put more on half way through cooking, maybe wet saw dust in foil pocket would work, but haven't tried

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 pm 

Thanks Nocky. The pic looks great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next