View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Damara sheep
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 pm 

We have been looking at getting some Damaras also. Have heard they taste like a cross between lamb and goat as well as looking like it too. I like the idea of the tail storing fat as Im thinking it would be an easy indicator of health. Had heard of the Damper also - had a laugh when I first read about it - makes them seem very Aussie doesnt it!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm 

Never really thought much of them myself, personally I'd go for SAMM's.(South African Merino) OK they are a nutty as hell and can jump most fences but if they are fed right they'd have no need to.
We had them on the feed lot in Esperance (4000 of them) and when fed correctly bulked up real fast and they are ok on the tooth as well.
Also with the sheep prices atm if you can sell the odd one here and there, your back pocket will appreciate it

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 13.64 KiB | Viewed 4500 times ]

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=8219

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 am 

The reason I like cleanskin sheep is because you don't have to shear the them and the don't get fly struck so they are easy to manage, just have to find a breed that don't act like goats and destroy fences and trees. :learn:

If it was just about the meat, we used to produce pole dorest x merino fat lambs for market, and they bulked up very fast and were very tasty, infact they look alot like what you have pictured Gnash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm 

Simo wrote:
The reason I like cleanskin sheep is because you don't have to shear the them and the don't get fly struck so they are easy to manage, just have to find a breed that don't act like goats and destroy fences and trees. :learn:

Good luck with that :thumb:

Anyway if flystrike occurs just grab some hand shears and some deadmag powder, my uncle used to give some to myself and the boys and we'd run the sheep down in the mini moke and crutch them, was a constant giggle to see which one between the three of us would :spew: first.
There is nothing like the smell of rotten flesh and watching maggots crawl through it to get the guts turning :scared2:

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=8219

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:36 pm 

Simo wrote:

Simo, we have tried a few different breeds for exactly the same reasons as you- and the best ones for us have been the Wiltipolls. They are Wiltshire's, but with no horns. They are not a small sheep, but produce good lambs, usually twins, easy to care for, self-shedding, resistant to worms and flies etc etc. The horned variety were great but do damage fences, those with no horns are no problem at all. We are gradually replacing our horned ones for polled.

Attachments:
IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG [ 166.1 KiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need.
Cicero

our Aquaponics thread
https://www.facebook.com/mccarthy.park
http://www.mccarthypark.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm 

Actually I think one of the sheep in that picture is a dog :lol:

Seriously though your soil/pasture looks pretty good for Jandakot, how did you manage to dodge the sand?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm 

Hah, we haven't managed to dodge the sand!! :sad2: It is near Jandakot after all. We have been here 20 years though, so the accumulation of sheep poo and the other poos do help. We tend to kick the poo around on the ground so it fertilises it. The ground has suffered over our long hot summer, but is picking up a bit with the cooler weather and a drop of rain. The whole 10 acres isn't pasture though, most of it is kept as natural bush and the sheep go in there to keep down the weeds.
The dog proves how friendly the sheep are-that is our ram!

Cicero

our Aquaponics thread

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:13 pm 

I checked out the Small Farm Expo at Gidgegannup yesterday. They had buses taking people out to various places - one was Nadie Wiltshires Stud.

Wiltshires may be a good option. They shed all their fleece and have a habit of producing twins and triplets (with some breeder reporting 180% 'return' when lambing - ie 100 ewes produce 180 lambs).

My Country Backyard
My Home AP System

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 pm 

So far we have found about 50% of the ewes have twins, which is still very good. They are also so, so easy because they are such low maintenance. When we had merinos, we had to crutch, drench, trim their feet, as well as shear. The wiltshires need.....nothing! They seem to be much more resistant to worms so we haven't had to drench in two years, their feet are strong and don't need trimming....plus because they shed we don't need to crutch or shear!
We would certainly recommend them! :thumb:

Cicero

our Aquaponics thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 pm 

Always good to have stock that requires minimal input, otherwise it just becomes too hard and you're less likely to keep them.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:53 pm 

I was researching sheep today and got onto damaras and ended up here lol (funny thing that google). Anyways we are looking for a couple of sheep to help us out and I liked the traits of the damara. Did you end up getting anything Simo?

I now like the idea of the Wiltipolls too. Nice looking sheep and seems easy to manage for a first time sheep owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:16 pm 

The lamb in our vege garden is a Damara, great personality, eats anything, stubborn, finds a way out of the paddocks at work that the other sheep are in (it is a lamb without a mother though so just wants to head to the workshop to find me). I reckon if I was after a couple of sheep to keep the weeds down these are what i would go for. Not sure on how good they are for eating, I have heard mixed reports, Apparently very different to the lamb we are use to but comes up well after a week or two on saltbush.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm 

Hey Charlie, we have Wiltshires and think they are great! Really good eating, but also so easy to care for- none of the crutcching, shearing, worming and feet trimming of the merinos we had before! Highliy recommend them, especially if you need a bit of scrub cleared- they eat a bit like goats rather than purely graze.

Cicero

our Aquaponics thread

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:30 pm 

A few friends have them up here they are delicious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:22 pm 

Thanks heaps guys. Shit it makes life easier having you lot to talk to. Thanks heaps!