View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my cross breeds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 am 

folks about here been trying to keep a black faced sheep suffolk? , got a large frame and good wool ,but the heat and parasites just destroy them they just don't lend well in this part of the country. i have a ram and ewe that are "native" whites and i have cross bred them to the blacks. so far they look very good, fat healthy natives hung on a large frame. i'll get my daughter to take some pics and post them. i have a 18month black faced ram about 170 pounds or 77kg that i'm gonna butcher soon, nothing better than lamb. i lost 4 of the blacks to heat/parasites in 1 season. one thing i did was to start mixing food grade DE in their feed once a week and have not lost one sence. sheep are the best farm animal for meat in my opinion, pork is good but sheep seem to smell better...lol

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: my cross breeds
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:01 am 

:wave: What parasites are you talking about? and what is DE?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm 

worms from slugs i think, de is diotomatios earth or silica. its keen on cutting up pests inside intestines or on plants. think micro glass shards

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm 

Sounds like Schistosoma also known as liver flukes, I think we have them here too but back when we ran sheep we just drenched them so there were no problems with parasites. Since you are not drenching and are use DE I assume you want to go down the organic route which I respect.

Interesting that DE being ingested works so well, I guess it breaks the life cycle as even thought not all flukes reside in the digestive system primarily they pass through it at some stage of the life cycle. Well done thanks for the info. :thunbs:

I have heard that large amounts of garlic can also help rid cattle of intestinal parasites, might work for sheep too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 am 

thanks simo, yea flukes i think. you notice ones a little skinny then its has a wet green ass..scours...so you give it an injection of oral wormer and within the day it lays down to die...have i missed anything?
by the time you see trouble its just to late. i was intorduced to the DE by the local hardware/feed store man. i have used it myself so i know its safe. i put about a cup in a plastic 5 gal bucket atop the feed and bounce twist it to the feed trough, and it works its way down to the bottom coating the pellets.
now it is good stuff but you do not want to breath it, silica dust in lungs is bad for you!
parasites are trouble on large farms with plenty of pasture, but they are worse for a small time grower.
i sprinkle DE on the dogs and cats feed too.
last year twards the end of garden season i was using it as a pest control an it seemed to work fairly well, so i will start out with it this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 am 

the herd,

Attachments:
File comment: this pic shows the lean frames, but it is winter and she is nursing a cross lamb, not how good the native ewe to the right looks..she was bred to the black ram i'm going to eat.
ewes.JPG
ewes.JPG [ 201.08 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]
File comment: here you see the black face with their milk cow hip bones, they are large framed but slight of meat. see how good the ram looks?
herd.JPG
herd.JPG [ 195.95 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]
File comment: this is my native ram he is a meat monster full and round, he and the native ewe have large rounded hinds and fores, with flat wide backs. you could set a 12 pack of beer on them without tipping off.
native ram.JPG
native ram.JPG [ 234.58 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:22 am 

the lambs, these lambs will be my new improved southern herd. they will take the heat like champs.

Attachments:
File comment: my babies!
cross.JPG
cross.JPG [ 241.59 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]
File comment: cross lamb from black ewes
cross lambs.JPG
cross lambs.JPG [ 245.67 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]
File comment: this is the native ewes lamb he looks like a mixed up thing but he is very large.
corss with mother.JPG
corss with mother.JPG [ 160.42 KiB | Viewed 8256 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:37 pm 

That ram does look good, what advantages are you looking for in the cross? looks like the pure natives would be a good meat sheep and hardy too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:41 pm 

larger animals with the same native build. sheep are fairly expensive here, a lamb weighing 15-20kg live weight brings around $100usa and a 41kg lamb butchered is $225 with a yield of 24.5kg of meat, or there about. that's around $9.18kg now if i can get the cross up to 60kg in the same time all the better.
i bought the natives to breed so i would have eats. the blacks sort of fell into my lap, one of my employees had to sell them, and she parted with 11 of them for $400. the man who shears the sheep got me started on the new program. he was drooling over the native ram, and told me not to sell the blacks. his idea was to breed the hardy native meat critter into the large frame ewes, and breed the large frame black ram into the native ewe.
i figured what the hell.. why not, i have a small herd might as well play with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:17 am 

well the sheep are breeding now....at least the rams......big white native ram butted the crossbreed ram lamb two days ago, while the lamb was checking out a ewe, and the lamb has a broken back leg. so into the cooler he went :bash: i recon the lamb is about 30-34kg hang weight.
deer season is full swing now i have been avg. 15 to 20 animals per week coming in to get processed....keeps me busy thru jan.
paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 am 

I have never heard of a Native sheep before, I assume they are native of USA ?
They look nice anyhow. The black faced ewe [looks like a suffolk] that you think is too lean, I wouldnt be concerned, a ewe will look that way feeding a big lamb, it really takes it out of them and prolly confirms she's a good milker.

Henry Ford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:42 am 

native=mixed up yard critter no known breed. just born here in this state an able to survive the hot harsh summers and their pests. the guy who sheers them called it a native an it stuck :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:59 pm 

i slaughtered a 77kg ram on thurs past. i cant wait to start eating my mutton, cocoa puff was a 3 year old spoiled rotten ram....stuffed for years like a king off the farm scraps this place provided.....my mouth is watering. first up is an oystralian stew recipe off the web. turnips anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:18 pm 

Never eaten a 3 yo ram before....let us know how he tastes big worm...

Henry Ford

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:46 am 

bushy wrote:
Never eaten a 3 yo ram before....let us know how he tastes big worm...

ya i'm sure to. we eat lamb bought from the supermarket, we love it. american lamb tastes a bit gamey...it don't taste like chicken...lol. thing is that....our home grown are so mild, never tasting like store bought??? soooo i think that the so called lamb we get is mutton, and not actually spring lamb at all.
so needless to say i am excited to taste it.
tonight we are having a full blown farm supper, hasenpfeffer fried cabbage, broccoli all raised here 100%