View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:10 pm 

Bloody good thing too I reckon, our meat is really too cheap and I'll happily pay more for animals that have grown in a healthy free range environment where they can express their natural tendencies.

Quote:

Tasmania today became the first Australian state to ban sow stalls.

The Primary Industry Minister Bryan Green has accepted a recommendation from the Tasmanian Animal Welfare Advisory Committee to ban dry sow stalls in piggeries by 2017.

The stalls are used to confine pregnant pigs so they can't turn around or attack each other.

Animal welfare groups say they're unacceptably cruel, but some large commercial producers say they're the easiest way to stop pigs injuring each other.

In addition to the 2017 ban, from 2014, sows may be kept in sow stalls for no more than six weeks during pregnancy.

In a statement, Mr Green says that timeline will give Tasmanian farmers enough time to adjust their operations.

"Managing sows [without stalls] will require more space, new equipment and different animal husbandry practices," he says.

"I would not impose this on pig producers if I did not think it was necessary, both from an animal welfare perspective and for the future of our pork industry in Tasmania."

The ban goes beyond the national standards agreed by industry and Federal Government representatives in 2007.

Those called only for restricting the time sows could be kept in stalls, rather than banning them altogether.

The Tasmanian Animal Welfare Advisory Committee made no recommendations on the state's use of farrowing stalls, which prevent sows from smothering newborn piglets.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm 

I second that EB !! Good to see it happening !

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:32 pm 

I think I heard earlier this week that Coles is going to phase out meat from suppliers that use stalls in a few years as well..

Now if everyone can just phase out Coles over the next few years we will be laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:37 pm 

earthbound wrote:
Now if everyone can just phase out Coles over the next few years we will be laughing.

Absolutely ! Try and do my bit towards that every few days by going elsewhere. I think I read that they're now trying to get into the insurance market as well !

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:41 am 

chillidude wrote:
earthbound wrote:

Absolutely ! Try and do my bit towards that every few days by going elsewhere. I think I read that they're now trying to get into the insurance market as well !

Dont get me started on this subject....haha, well Ive already started so here goes... I hate monopolies, its just greed and kills competition and a fair go for the family business.
When they drastically drop the price of milk or whatever, it doesnt come out of their bottom line but the poor old farmer gets another kick in you know whats.
Dont ever buy their discounted fuel.....big deal, on a tank full you will prolly save enough to buy a cup of coffee !!! And puts one more independant closer to bankruptcy, when they are all gone you will pay what WW or coles say you will pay.
When all the major suppliers of fruit and vegies have been forced out of production, our food supplies will be controlled by overseas interests.... a good feeling, huh ? :devil:

Henry Ford