View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snakes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:15 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Does anyone have a problem with snakes? We were told Benger was the snake capital of WA when we moved there. We do see a few tigers each summer. The area I garden has mostly solid fences, but in the area where there is chainmesh I have attached aviary wire (small mesh) to about 60cms up the fence and the same along the ground on the outside in the hope that I am deterring both rabbits and snakes.

I've seen adverts for a snake deterrent which is a rod that you stick into the ground and the waves it emits are supposed to clear 650 m2 of snakes. Does anyone have any knowledge of them and, if so, do they work? At $160 each they would need to.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Snakes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:18 am 

Snakes don't like going through canna lillies, gets them tangled up.
I'll remove red bellies and release them out of town but browns I don't muck around with. Off with there heads. :devil:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
[quote="dufflight"]Snakes don't like going through canna lillies, gets them tangled up.

Sadly, Duff, the only place snakes can get into my garden are under a gate. A difficult place to put cannas. Interesting thought, though. I suppose it would be the same with arrowroot. :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 am 

Depends if you mean by problem, do we get them. If so, sure - we only se 2 or 3 every summer even though our block is pretty open, there's a vacant block next door and we're only one block from John Forrest National Park.

Always brought the kids up to understand how they behave if they come across one. The main wildcard is the dog, but we've never had an issue in 15+ years of living here and several more before that in small mning towns. The nextdoor neighbour lost a terrier to a brown a couple of years ago, but that's it. Not too bad given that everyone around here has dogs.

Nup - never heard of the snake deterrent rod.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 pm 

It wasnt a snake deterrent but I bought one of those ultrasonic mosquito repellers a few years back. What a load of rot, mosquitoes even landed on it at times before I threw it out. I'd want to at least see video proof before I forked out for anything like that again. :bash:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 pm 

oldute wrote:
It wasnt a snake deterrent but I bought one of those ultrasonic mosquito repellers a few years back. What a load of rot, mosquitoes even landed on it at times before I threw it out. I'd want to at least see video proof before I forked out for anything like that again. :bash:

Yeah - promise alot, but deliver bugger all - had the same experience.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:39 pm 

No experience myself, but a quick look online has a few people saying they don't work.... :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:40 pm 

Thanks guys. We had a similar experience with a mouse deterrent at our farm, which is why I was sceptical. Would hate to rely on something like that only to find it fails to do the job. False security is dangerous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:45 am 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
Snakes are my biggest fear :scared: but I have had to get used to them with living on a rural property. We mainly have brown snakes which I am told are more scared of me than I of them??? so they must just about sh*t themselves when they see me! One of my worst experiences was when I lifted the compost bin lid and a snake was circling around the top and stared right at me (i would have been frozen by then) before it dived to the bottom and I fled :run: . Was a while before I could use the compost bin again.
Don't get to comfortable GS with thinking that a solid fence will keep them out. They can go underground through mouse/rabbit holes, and can also climb trees/shrubs and drop from them. I wouldnt have believed that as I thought only climbing snakes climbed, but I seen a brown snake climb a tree and drop from it, not far from a path I use regularly. Another scary moment!

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 am 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
Attachment:
aaagh!.JPG
aaagh!.JPG [ 55.95 KiB | Viewed 7158 times ]

Lets all board the bus! :wave:

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm 

I'm a stomper whenever in territory that I think might harbour snakes... Although it's not always feasible to stamp your feet while walking, I try to do it if in swampy areas with long grass and in warm weather. I figure I haven't seen a snake in a long time so therefore it must work... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:07 pm 

Only snakes I've seen are a couple of carpet snakes, about 7 foot long. Could be the same snake once in the front yard the other time near the back fence.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 am 

We don't exactly have a sanke problem because we now respect their right to live here. One year when we had covered the fruit trees with bird nets, a snake wandering through got in but couldn't get out. The way that I found out was the smell as I walked past the fruit tree draped in bird netting, not once but twice. I must say I felt rather cruel and unkind, though it was not intentional.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 am 

Coming from one of the only two countries in the world without snakes, I'm not used to having to think about them, so I have a tendency to forget about them until I'm in the middle of a likely snake habitat. Then I do a lot of EB-type stomping. They're my biggest fear too, Tristrin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm 

Hey Granny Smith, I work on the theory that they are as scared of us as we are of them.
I surprised a dugite once as I swiftly came around the corner to switch the pump on in the shed. We took one look at each other (I said shit) I think it did too and we both turned and went in opposite directions.
Another time I came across one in the pathway to the chook pens, it took me a while to make out what it was, cause I could see legs and it wasn't moving. As I looked closer I discovered that it was a snake with a bobtail in its mouth. Totally unable to move, I ran and got the shovel but after the shock subsided I actually decided it was an ideal opportunity to take photos instead, by that time there were 7 of us staring in amazement as he devoured his meal and then slithered away.
I guess I have got used to them a bit because we have a son who has had 2 as pets. The female that he has now is very friendly and has a pleasant nature. Some guests are not so sure sure.:scared2: