View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bananas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 am 

Thanks so I might, if Faye says anything, by it!

Thanks!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm 

Backyard Farming had two magazines out but Joel got too busy with every thing else. Hope they will do more in the futre.

CcBear's Home Produce and Preserves

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

Interesting reading this thread. I retired to Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) Thailand about 10 years ago. As some of you who visit Thailand may know, bananas grow here like weeds. No restriction. No permits. I have never seen a diseased banana tree. Permits could be good if there is a disease to protect against. However, as in my home country USA, watch out - some one may be trying to control the industry so they or their friends make the bucks. Thailand has perfect weather for bananas - warm, humid, in my area never cold. We plant one tree or a shoot from a tree using plenty of coconut coir, rice hulls, and animal poop. Ours is goat poop. After the tree gets going we limit growth to one bearing tree, and one half-grown tree, and one nice shoot. We cut out all others or start a new clump. Every thing you cut off of the tree is perfect for mulch, the deeper the better. We are up to 19 or 20 clumps now and as space becomes available we plan more. We have one type that has thin bananas and the tree always looks like it has a desease - black trunk and some times a very thin trunk. We have another short banana that I think is for cooking - they get fat. These trees get very large trunks. I don't know what varity they are but I plan to start looking for larger bananas like the US imports from South America. We eat lots of them. My wife bakes them and then freezes them - they have a sweet taste after cooking. I eat them on my Aussy (AU) oatmeal every day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:28 pm 

Got any pics Johnra?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:04 am 

No because we just spent the last months, almost a year remodeling our yard and everything is started over and not all growing so nice yet. I did go out yesterday or the day before and take a few photos to see what I could find. I am attaching 3 of them. 9035 is the short fat banana I was talking about - great taste. 9021 shows the tree that makes the small skinny ones - sweet as can be with a slight tang to the taste. To me the trees look sick but are very healthy and grow well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:12 am 

Well Charlie, I'm doing good tonight. Invisable photos. Wow

Attachments:
DSCN9021.JPG
DSCN9021.JPG [ 59.4 KiB | Viewed 1605 times ]
DSCN9035.JPG
DSCN9035.JPG [ 54.54 KiB | Viewed 1605 times ]
DSCN9036.JPG
DSCN9036.JPG [ 52.14 KiB | Viewed 1605 times ]