View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garlic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 pm 

Not sure this should be in the "herbs" area, but better placed here than in vegetables I guess.

Anyway - one crop I try and grow every year is garlic. I have a pink skinned Australian variety that I have been growing for about 5 years now. I started with a few bulbs that my mother got from a neighbour who was dabbling with commercial growing. Although I don't think that went anywhere, at least I got the benefit of some stock to start my home use crop.

Being the slacker that I am, I always end up planting later than I should in the season, meaning that I struggle to harvest a decent sized bulb before the wet hits in Spring. I'm about a month late again this year, but pulled my finger out this weekend and prepared 1 of the couple of beds that I will plant out with garlic this year. Hopefully will find time to do the second bed next weekend.

At least one bed is now planted though, so that is something. I estimate that I planted 300 cloves. I won't quite end up with that many plants as not every clove will come up, but most should. These things last really well to the extent that the bulbs I harvested in October last year are as good as new and a reasonable proportion of what I have left from the ones I harvested about the same time in 2008 are still okay for seedstock, though not really suitable for eating. About half of what I planted today came from the 2008 harvest. I expect these will not give me as great a shoot rate as the 2009 crop, but I used them anyway to keep more of my 2009 stock for eating up until my next harvest in October this year.

Provided I have time I'll get another 200 or so plants in next weekend, which fingers crossed should result in my biggest crop so far.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Garlic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 pm 

I normally aim to plant at easter, missed this one so probably plant next weekend.
Wouldnt expect any disadvantage though.
I normally put the cloves in the fridge for a week or 2 before planting, I've heard it makes them shoot better and faster.
Once you've had home grown garlic you'll never buy the Chinese garlic again, if you run out you have to buy the good organic garlic. Easy crop to grow with no problems, only thing is it takes about 6 months to harvest but worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am 

veggie boy wrote:
Easy crop to grow with no problems, only thing is it takes about 6 months to harvest but worth it.

Yeah, it's a real "plant-it-and-forget-it crop.

Could never bring myself to even tyr the Chinese stuff - need to put my sunnies on just to look at it it's so bleached. :shock:

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:02 am 

I'm planting mine this week, along with some saffron corms. Have to make up a temporary plant bed for them as we are likely to begin demolition around here before they are ready to harvest.

H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:07 pm 

I put in another raised bed with the rest of my garlic today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm 

How close to all you guys plant? I plant really densely to maximise use of space. Bulbs may end up a bit smaller, but I'd be more than compensated by number. My 300 plants would be in an area of less than 4 metres long by a bit over 1.5 wide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm 

10cm ish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:06 pm 

I plant about 150mm apart, get some big bulbs, some small bulbs but all delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:00 pm 

As mentioned in BYAP went to deliverance country with my mate the Great White Hunter, is a place on the way that has wild garlic, it grows in a old river bed and the wild pigs love it, the pigs that live in the area have a very strong garlic flavour, the wild garlic is around 10 times stronger than shop crap, it actually burns a little if you eat it raw, we dug up a fair bit and will try some in the dirt veggie garden and munch some up, may have a couple of cloves to spare if anyone wants to try and will be in Perth this weekend, don't rush me as not much will be left, first with hands up win

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:18 pm 

An old Italian guy I bought some garlic plaits from, told me that he always planted garlic on the Anzac day long weekend. I'll be preparing to plant up in a couple of weeks then.... :)

Don;t think I'll be planting as much as you though VB... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 pm 

Guy I got some garlic from is leaving town so I asked what he is doing with his seed stock. Said I can have the lot. :thunbs:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm 

Right, so you're in competition with VB to see who can have the biggest crop of garlic..... :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:17 pm 

will try and call in on way home sunday joel, i will give you some of the wild stuff, I will also leave a clove, peel and try it man it has a hit, I should be in around 10 if I feel ok, have to get back for the Narrogin Cup though so will be a fast one so wont hold you up,

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 pm 

earthbound wrote:
Right, so you're in competition with VB to see who can have the biggest crop of garlic..... :)

He has more in the ground but mine are the elephant type so I should have the biggest crop. :joy:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm 

Nocky - the ones I grow are also much stronger than what you get in the shop and have heat to them when raw. When I make garlic aoli, if I put a lot in, which I like to, you even get a bit of heat in that :-)