View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bender's Backyard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am 

Im not a fan of cocos palms but quite like Foxtails, Alexanders and Cuban Royals.
I have lots of golden canes too that make great privacy screens wind breaks and mulch machines.

Re your palms Bender
They would have provided a fair bit of afternoon shade though along with those shrubs.
Are you going to try and shade the front again ?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 pm 

Snags wrote:
Im not a fan of cocos palms but quite like Foxtails, Alexanders and Cuban Royals.
I have lots of golden canes too that make great privacy screens wind breaks and mulch machines.

Re your palms Bender
They would have provided a fair bit of afternoon shade though along with those shrubs.
Are you going to try and shade the front again ?

Hi Snags, the front of the house faces east so it gets full morning sun and shade in the afternoon. The peppermint trees (Agonis flexuosa) http://florabase.dec.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/5316 will grow pretty tall and wide in time (I've planted two) so will provide a fair bit of shade. They are the native tree species that grows in Busselton and are the main habitat trees for the endangered western ring-tailed possum. Busselton is a real hot spot for these possums however many of the habitat trees have been (and are continued to be) cleared for development. I would love to attract some of these possums into my yard. My neighbour has some living in their peppermint tree next door.

Bender's Backyard
Bender's Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 am 

I like possums but I dont want to attract any,too many fruit trees and veggy gardens for them to eat
I wish I didnt attract snakes,bandicoots and bush turkeys too.

I do like to attract other birds (never seen so many varieties in one place) and native bees and eventually will build boxes for insectivorous bats.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:25 am 

Here is an update on my BSF compost units. I am currently running two units one of which is a commercially available biopod and the other one that I built from plans on the internet. Currently the biopod is the most productive (although slowing down now as the temperatures drop).

Attachment:
File comment: biopod
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG [ 127.61 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: BSF
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG [ 182.45 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

The second unit is based on a design on the Black Soldier Fly Farming blog. I set it up in December and it has been moderately productive. I need to make a few design modifications for next seasons as I believe the larvae are finding it difficult to self harvest and are just hatching into flies inside of the unit. I will reduce the drain area at the bottom and extend the length of the ramps and I think this problem will be solved.

Attachment:
File comment: BSF composter
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG [ 192.5 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 am 

Some more pics
Attachment:
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG [ 137.42 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG [ 205.66 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: BSF Composter
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG [ 170.78 KiB | Viewed 2240 times ]

I've been getting vegetable scraps from my neighbours in order to feed this unit which has been great and in turn my neighbour gets fresh eggs from my chooks who devour the BSF larvae :rock:

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:45 am 

Hi Ben looks good where does the BSF enter ?anddoes that have two harvest buckets one at each end?

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 pm 

The BSF enter through cracks under the lid. They lay eggs on the lid or directly on the scraps. There is a pipe and collection bucket at each end. I'm about to pack it up for winter and will bring it out again in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:40 pm 

Thats awesome. Ive never tried BSF, I really need to have a crack at this one day. Have you got any changes you would make to this design, Bender?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:16 pm 

Thanks Charlie. BSF are very easy to breed and are an excellent supplement feed for chooks and fish.

Yep I will definitely make some changes to the current design. Basically it will be the same however I will extend the ramps until they almost meet like an upside down triangle. I will make the drainage area smaller at the base of the triangle. Currently the drainage area is quite large consisting on a double layer of fly screen on the base which just drains onto the ground. I think extending the ramp will increase my yield of larvae as they will all try and exit rather than just pupating in the bottom of the system.

All credit for the system goes to the people on the black soldier fly farming website though who have put up some free blueprints of the design

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 am 

Hi Bender had heaps of cocas palms on my place when we bought it. Found them to be dirty trees like most palms, took me a few years but got rid of them all. Bad when the previous owner planted them over the main sewerage pipe going to the septic. That was one fun Friday afternoon NOT.

Tried to harvest BSF once but no good will give it another go come spring so please post any modifications to your system. Cheers. Bear

CcBear's Home Produce and Preserves

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:09 pm 

Bender wrote:
Here is an update on my BSF compost units. I am currently running two units one of which is a commercially available biopod
Attachment:
IMG_0355.JPG

Where did you get this unit and what price?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm 

Snags wrote:
Bender wrote:
Here is an update on my BSF compost units. I am currently running two units one of which is a commercially available biopod
Attachment:
IMG_0355.JPG

Where did you get this unit and what price?

I bought the biopod from qld from a well known aquaponics identity. Not sure if I'm supposed to say on this forum but you know who he is. There are very few distributors and freight was a killer for me. The cost of the unit makes diy very attractive

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:33 pm 

Ccbear wrote:
Hi Bender had heaps of cocas palms on my place when we bought it. Found them to be dirty trees like most palms, took me a few years but got rid of them all. Bad when the previous owner planted them over the main sewerage pipe going to the septic. That was one fun Friday afternoon NOT.

Tried to harvest BSF once but no good will give it another go come spring so please post any modifications to your system. Cheers. Bear

Thanks bear. I ended up cutting down 4 palms at my place. 3 of those I left the stumps in place and they are now bird baths.

I feel for you trying to remove palm stumps from on top of a sewerage pipe. Palm stumps are bloody hard work to get out. The roots are really fibrous and the bulk of them makes the job difficult.

I would encourage anyone to have a go at BSF production. It's very simple, very efficient at converting food waste and your chooks and fish will love you for it. I also breed mealworms as they are the only thing my silver perch will eat over the colder months

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:16 pm 

Im the palm cutting master at the moment! Plowing through 20 odd a day. Its bloody hard work.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 pm 

gday Ben are the ramps at the required 35 degrees I am very interested with this design I work at a plastics place and can bend PVC s food grade plastics to what ever shape I want and then weld them altogether the avarta you see on my BYAp is done in acrylics and done on a laser or CNC machine amazing what you can do with plastics.

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next