View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm 

Awesome work bear. Very impressive harvest. Love pickled ginger especially the stuff you get with sushi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bender's Backyard
Bender's Aquaponics System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 am 

Yea nice harvest, Bear. I bet home grown ginger would taste amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 am 

Thank you, certainly smells lovely Charlie looking forward to using it.

CcBear's Home Produce and Preserves

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:08 pm 

Ginger has been prepares, made four jars of pickled ginger, six bags frozen for cooking and a couple bags for juicing. Remainder for cooking and replanting.

Turmeric has been cleaned and will be frozen for juicing and a bit for cooking. Pieces left for the next crop. Now just have to prepare the new beds for planting.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 pm 

Just noticed I have not posted any photos of the front. It is mostly native and ornamental. Close to the front of the house I have a wicking bed made from a large sand filter. This has Thai basil, parsley and French tarragon planted. A small pot has a thyme plant and two 20 litre containers have rosemary.

Talked to the good lady and suggested I move the rosemary and put in two halves of a IBC for a summer salad and herb garden. As this is close to the front door and just out side the kitchen it will be handy just to walk a few steps for fresh salad and herbs. Will have to do a decent job but I think I can handle that.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 pm 

In the past week I have planted to chilli bushes in 20 litre white buckets and garlic chives I took out of the aquaponic system in another. These are sitting out the front foe easy access once they have grown. In the sand filter wicking bed
I removed the Thai basil as it did not survive my cut back. Planted oregano and corriander to take its place.

Sand filter wicking bed.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 146.06 KiB | Viewed 3741 times ]

As usual when plans are made they never go to the original concept. We had discussed doing two half IBC wicking beds at the front as a kitchen garden. This has now expanded out to four beds. I will be first laying down three hardwood pallets and placing the half IBC on top. This will give me a height of 900 mm to the top of the bed.

Where the pallets on the right are I had to remove the potted Kaffer lime which will go down on the other side of the sand filter WB. The centre pallets was where the two Rosemary plants were. The area on the left is where the next two beds will go.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 159.21 KiB | Viewed 3741 times ]

Two of the piles ready for the beds to be placed in position.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 141.64 KiB | Viewed 3741 times ]

The door in the right is the main access to the house and the window is the kitchen so we can just look out and see how it is going.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 am 

Sweet setup. Love the use of recycled materials.

Do you think I could grow ginger? I've had success with tumeric in a pot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 am 

If you can grow turmeric there is no reason that I can see why you can not grow ginger. Suggest a half blue barrel wicking bed and five shoots will give you a good crop. A good enriched soil with compost helps.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:39 pm 

in the words of smithers "excccellllent...."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:01 pm 

Nothing else done out the front as I was busy painting the blue drums which form part of my RAS. Been getting a lot of fine algae in the system which needed correcting. Details in my AP link in my signature.

Between bending over painting and while I was cutting up the pallets which were too damaged to use I again dropped the hip and the back is killing me at the moment. Hope to be good enough to continue next week. The son was coming to help this weekend but has a bad touch of the wog so I told him to stay home and rest.

I will just have to crack a bottle of Red and watch the Sydney Swans moving forward to the AFL premiership.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm 

Been to Darwin for a few days, we have a house at Adelaide River 120klm south of Darwin that we were going to move to. Have had it rented for 18 months and had to take the tenant to court to get him out. Done every thing right and the stupid judge gives him another month to get out. Any way the house is now not fit to live in and will cost about $10K to fix and the $2K he owes in rent. No major structural damage just filth from his dog and smoking and general bad pig behaviour. Now I think of it pigs are cleaner than this bloke was. Will see what the insurance will pay and just get on with it.

Now the bitch is over a couple of photos, came down with a chest infection while I was there and just getting better and able to start some work.

Position of beds, still have to clad as they can be seen from the road.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 102.48 KiB | Viewed 3676 times ]

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 90.46 KiB | Viewed 3676 times ]

More to come as I start the water reserve and cladding.

Will be doing work on the RAS in the morning and Blind Freddy is coming up to filet the Jades from one of the tanks. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:16 pm 

Sorry to hear about your back pain Bear, I get terrible pains too from a blown disc when I was younger, it's something you just can't escape.

Hope you have a win with the stupid pig tenant too, it's a discrace how the legal system seems against you sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

Thanks Charlie have been living with the pain since '81 but find this year I am able to manage better and without the massive pain relieve I use to consume.

Well BF got tired up at his place so not much done down at the fish. Fixed the timber for the cladding on one of the beds and worked out what I will be doing in regards to water reserve and cladding.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 88.69 KiB | Viewed 3668 times ]

Will be wrapping 90% shade cloth around the two pallets under each bed and I have some timber lattice which I will put more shade cloth on the back and then fix as my cladding. This will get the lattice down and out of the fish area and should look good as well. As these beds can be seen from the road and are next to the front door then I want them to be presentable.

Grand final on so its wine time and I still have to pull a fish out for dinner. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:21 am 

Darwin hey :)
Do you know what type of tomatoes work well up there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 am 

Jay Have a look at this page, any questions shoot Oliver a PM http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... &start=240

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next