View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compost Worms
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 pm 

I have 3 worm farms. I used 2 of the mitre 10 worm farms until I found out how easier it was to just have them in the AP system. So now I have to empty worm farms that have nice trays. I might use them later but It was more easier to have them in with the fish filters. Has any one had any luck with just a worm farm. A mate used to process 180kgs of horse manure with them but I never had much luck with them.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Compost Worms
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 pm 

We have a couple of the standard multi tiered worm farms at the shop. They do really well, every 3 months or so Mitch takes home big bags full of great juicy worm castings and we have lots of worm wee for the gardens. He seems to have the systems down pat, personally I've never really done much with worms, chooks have always dealt with my leftovers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm 

Argh worms!!! My favourite of all garden creatures. They are absolutely amazing animals and incredibly beneficial to the garden, no single creature comes even close to worms when it comes to improving the soil.

I have kept worms even before I started gardening. I got my first worm farm when I was about fourteen and have had them since then. The easiest ones for suburban use are the tiered ones you can buy at bunnings or waldecks. They are incredibly simple and efficent systems. But there is so many more ways of keeping worms!!!

For instance a very common method is to keep them in a bathtub. This is great for processing large quantities of organic matter. The idea being behind this kind of setup is that you pile organic matter up on one side and then work your way across the tub and by the time you get to the end the other end is processed and ready to be removed. The worms simply follow the fresh food, moving laterally rather than vertically like they do in a tiered system.

I'll post up some pictures etc of some of my favourite systems for keeping worms later on. :joy: :joy:

To every problem there is a solution. Much of the solution depends on how we view the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 am 

Yeah, that'd be great Mitch. I'm currently investigating ways to have some sort of worm production going on as another food source for my AP system to complement my BSF production. A lateral process as you describe would be easier to harvest from than a vertical system.

Once the production is happeneing, I need to devise a way to have the worms remove themselves from the soil - something analogous to the BSF self-harvesting. In my mind I'm picturing some sort of seive-on-a-stand where I can shovel the soil/castings into it and the worms crawl through the bottom into a tray. Then the worms go to the fish and the castings to the orchard.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

Last edited by chillidude on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 pm 

I killed my worms. Something about having a large black thing in SA's dry heat just didn't work. I had them in the shade under our only tree, and I kept them wet down and had hessian on top - but they all died.

So yeah, if anyone wants a worm farm in SA let me know. I'm not going to use it again, the wicking bed system has worms in it and that will do me just fine!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:06 pm 

mitch wrote:
I'll post up some pictures etc of some of my favourite systems for keeping worms later on. :joy: :joy:

Bump - how're those photos coming along Mitch ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 pm 

Finally I've got a chance to jump on the forum!! I've been busy gardening all week, as well as taking plenty of pictures to show everyone. :)

Today I'm going to talk about the most common type of worm farm, the tiered or stacking farm. It usually constists of two or three stackable trays with a single base tray or drain tray. These small household units are compact, simple and easy to use. They offer the average city slicker an affordable and environmentally friendly way to process most of thier household waste.

A unit can be purchased from most garden centres for under $100, including everything you need to get started, even worms. Instructions on how to set one up come in the kit and are easy to follow. However over the years I have come up with some techniques that can be used to improve the production of the system. These are listed below.

1. Use composting worms. This may sound simple, but you'd be suprised how often people use earth worms or worms not suitable for their climate. The most common worms for a tiered worm farm are: Red Wrigglers, Tiger Worms and Indian Blues.

2. Feed your worms regularly. Worms will eat all kitchen scraps and all organic matter. However moderation is needed when feeding them citrus, dairy and meats. Never feed your worms processed food. Interestingly though, worms aren't interested in the scraps that they consume, instead they are actually eating the bacteria, enzymes and organisms, on the scraps and organic matter.

3. Prepare their food for them. To increase the production of any worm farm, finely cut or shred all material before it goes into the worm farm. This helps the bacteria and organisms to multiply throughout the food scraps, encouraging the worms to eat more.

4. Provide bedding. Worms need a place to rest during the hottest and coolest part of the day and night. Ensure that they always have access to moist bedding, that has good insulation. The best bedding for worms of course is worm castings or vermicast. However clean sawdust (ensure it only contains natural particles), coco-peat or similar material will suffice. Always start a new tray be putting a few handfuls of castings or other material in the base.

5. Bathe your worms Once a day pour a bucket of water into the top tray. This will filter through all of the trays and collect in the base tray. Leave the tap open whilst doing this and close the tap when the water slows to a drip. Be sure to place a bucket under the tap to collect the leachate. This will keep your worm farm moist and humid, perfect for bacteria, enzymes, organisms and worms.

These are only a handful of the things I do to keep my worms happy. I will continue to talk and post more about worms next week. Enjoy. :joy:

Attachments:
File comment: Worm farm. Base tray with bottom tier and bucket.
100_0573 (Small).JPG
100_0573 (Small).JPG [ 55.6 KiB | Viewed 5663 times ]
File comment: The bottom tray, filled with vermicast - ready to be used on the garden. :joy:
100_0572 (Small).JPG
100_0572 (Small).JPG [ 75.07 KiB | Viewed 5663 times ]
File comment: Worms and vermicast
100_0571 (Small).JPG
100_0571 (Small).JPG [ 146.87 KiB | Viewed 5663 times ]

To every problem there is a solution. Much of the solution depends on how we view the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 am 

I though I'd give the worm farm another try. Layed some cardboard down in the bottom tray and mixed a block of coco peat with 10ltrs of fish poo. Then dumped this into the worm farm. I then started picking compost worms out of one of the grow beds. About 10 worms later I got sick of doing that and ordered 4000 online. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 am 

haha :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 am 

I've got one of those cylindrical worm farms, think a fair few died off last year from lack of things to eat.

We restocked the worms and make sure they get fed plenty of scraps now. I've started adding them to my AP grow bed now.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm 

Yep, will be starting my worm farm up again this weekend, using some dirt, sawdust and the gunk from the bottom of the biopod.

Also will be putting worms in my AP grow beds :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:10 pm 

Yep got one of those can o worm things and 15 months nearly finished level 2, have had plenty of juice, they breed fast enough and I will start feeding a few to the fish

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 pm 

pistolknight wrote:
Yep got one of those can o worm things and 15 months nearly finished level 2, have had plenty of juice, they breed fast enough and I will start feeding a few to the fish

Yep - the reddies love 'em ! Will try 'em on the SPs this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:46 pm 

Worms turned up today. Threw them in the worm farm and a few handfulls into the nearest gb. Chopped up a few arrowroot leaves along with some scraps to top the second tray off. Hope I remember there in there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 pm 

Worms are going well. Even started a second worm farm, the first has almost finished with its first layer and the second is turning a nice color. They do like the fish poo that gets thrown in with them.