View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mulch for Blueberries
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:56 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
I've recently set up a blueberry bed and want to make sure the soil is acid for them (a pH of 4.5 - 5 is their preference, I've read). Does anyone know whether Norfolk Island Pine 'leaves' are acidic? As it is not a true pine I'm not sure. My 100 year old Norfolk Pine produces plenty of potential mulch which I would like to use, but don't want to waste my time, nor risk the blueberries.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:33 pm 

i do know that you need to be careful with pine needles, they can be very high in nitrogen to the extent that they can cause damage.

What about the left over coffee grinds. If you dont grind coffee yourself, maybe one of the cafes might let you have theirs. They only through them out any way. Positive i read somewhere that you can use coffee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:48 pm 

I don;t know for sure if they are acidic, but assume they would be. At Claremont council we had some monstrous big Norfolk Island pines that would smother the gardens below with their leaf type things they were everywhere. The only plants growing down in the garden beds below them, were acid loving plants like azaleas and camelias, nothing else would grow there.