View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Orange Marmalade
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:33 pm 

This week I chanced upon a few old friends; being orange trees I use to procure the odd orange from when I was growing up. The difference was that the area which as kids we referred to as the abandoned orchard is now a new subdivision. For the sake of old times, I borrowed a dozen oranges and decided I would make some marmalade. I spent a bit of time surfing the net with plenty of people saying marmalade is the hardest jam to make. I say this is garbage, here is my recipe, adapted from about five different ones and taking the easy option where possible.
After taste testing my harvest I had 11 oranges left, not all the same not perfect and typically home grown navels. These were washed then peeled with a sharp peeler, easy :thumb:
Next I had to cut the peel into nice thin even strips, hint make sure you have a razor sharp knife (forget the gimmicks, buy a quality waterstone and learn to use it). This took a bit of time and patience but after a while I worked out you could pile 6-10 peels together and do them together.
Following this, the remaining pith was peeled from the oranges and they were split in half. I expected this to be hard but with the peel gone these nice thick skinned navels were easier to peel than normal.
At this stage, the halves were sliced thinly (again sharp knife, too easy) then placed in a bowl with the sliced peel and around 700ml of water before covering and leaving overnight (mine were left two nights as I was busy). The fruit and peel weighed in at 1.5kg (weigh it as it dictates your sugar weight).
Most recipes tell you to take the seeds and pith and wrap it in cloth and let it sit in water to make the pectin. These navels were seedless and I did say I was going the lazy option which was 25 grams of Jam Setta.
When I finally found time, the orange soup was thrown into a saucepan with another 600ml of water and simmered for an hour. It then had 25 grams of Jam Setta and 1.5kg of white sugar (straight out of the bag not preheated like many recipes say to do) added. It was brought back to the boil for around 15 minutes, tested on a saucer from the freezer then taken off the heat.
My jars were taken from the oven and after the jam had sat for ten minutes, it was decanted into the hot jars and they were capped immediately.
Can't wait for breakfast :joy:
Now go and find some backyard oranges and have a go. Next batch will have some ginger grated into it.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Orange Marmalade
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 pm 

Nice work Burnsy, i did some a couple of months back with the last of our mandarines - went a treat in some steamed puddings and also ham glaze :thumb:

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 am 

Quote:
tested on a saucer from the freezer

Excuse my ignorance but can you explain this process?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:56 am 

As the jam is cooking, the melted sugars will be liquid. If you have a couple of saucers nice and cold in the freezer, you can pull one out, smear a bit of jam on and see if it sets to the right consistency. If it is still too runny, you cook out the jam a bit more until you get it to set just the right amount.

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am 

Marmalade steamed pudding

100g butter, softened
100g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
Grated zest of 1 orange
100g self-raising flour, sieved
Butter for greasing
8tbsp chunky orange marmalade, plus some extra if you prefer to serve on top

Cream the butter and sugar, by hand or in a mixing machine, until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs and orange zest and beat until well mixed. Gently fold in the flour until well mixed.

Grease a large, or 4 small individual pudding basins, spoon 4 tablespoons of the marmalade into the bottoms, levelling it out with the back of a spoon, then add the pudding mixture. Cover with a circle of buttered greaseproof paper, then some kitchen foil and secure tightly with a piece of string around the edge of the bowl.

Put the bowl/bowls into a saucepan with boiling water half way up the bowl, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 11/2 hours for a large one or 40 minutes for small individual ones, topping up with water if necessary.

Remove from the pan and turn out on to a serving dish. You may just need to run a knife around the edge of the pudding basin to loosen it slightly. Serve with some thick custard and some more marmalade if you wish, heated up with a little water and spooned on top.

Gaz and Danae's Garden