View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making sauce
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm 

Ever since watching them make tomato sauce on Vasili’s Garden I've been after one of those machines that takes the skin and seeds from the tomatoes to make sauce. I've found a few sites in the US that have them. All the good toys seem to be in another country. Does anyone make there own sauce.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Making sauce
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:38 pm 

I most certainly do :D several of them actually.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 pm 

I think those machines are readilly available here also. In fact I think I even saw them for sale at the Victoria Street Markets or one of the others when visiting Melbourne one time??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:23 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Hi Duff. I suspect you'd get one of those machines at the Re Store or similar, but I don't think they're cheap.

I have a stick blender and find that if I puree the mixture with that, it is pretty smooth as the skins and seeds disappear into the puree. If I want it even smoother it easily goes through a sieve after blending. It also means that you are using all of the tomatoes, ie, no waste and more sauce :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:33 am 

Location: sunbury victoria australia.cool mountain zone hot in summer cold in winter
Yes tomato sauce day the whole family is thers mooma poopa all the kids sometimes cousens and there family
drinking plenty vino and homemade sausage and cheese ,Man what a great day
Back to the mc/s any italion shop electric ones from $600.00 hand ones $80.00 [used one till i got the electric one ]
Still got 40 bottles from last year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Any chance of a recipe (or is it family secret)?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 am 

Location: sunbury victoria australia.cool mountain zone hot in summer cold in winter
Thats an easy one 1/2 tonne tomatoes
Put them through the m/c
Add Basil and garlic to taste boil the crapper out of them till it thickens put the mix in beer bottles cap put them all in a 200 litre drum boil again
While they are boiling get the cheese salami and vino [wine ] dance and have a party
Myrtleford where i come from thats called wog sauce day

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm 

Granny Smith wrote:
Hi Duff. I suspect you'd get one of those machines at the Re Store or similar, but I don't think they're cheap.

I have a stick blender and find that if I puree the mixture with that, it is pretty smooth as the skins and seeds disappear into the puree. If I want it even smoother it easily goes through a sieve after blending. It also means that you are using all of the tomatoes, ie, no waste and more sauce :thumb:

I do much the same sometimes I use a food processor instead of the stick blender. All of my sauces get put through a sieve about 1/2 through the cooking process.

We also use xanthan gum in most of our sauces to help suspend the sauce, very good for sauces containing spices. They don't all sink to the bottom.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 pm 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
I have been making my own sauce for years. My kids grew up on it, but I have to keep some bought sauce in the pantry cause some of their friends wont try homemade sauce :sad2: Now when my two adult sons come home to visit they take back some of my sauce and their friends/flatmates request my recipe!
I cheat a little and use 'Ezy Sauce' as i like the flavour of the spices in it, but i dont follow their suggested recipe.
My recipe:
4.5kg tomato, 750g onion, 150g capsicum (usually long sweet yellows), 750g sugar, 1/4 cup salt and 3/4 cup of 'ezy sauce'. (Sometimes i add 1 or 2 hot chillies)
I boil the tomato, onion and capsicum for 2 or 3 hours, then blend it with a stick blender (like Granny Smith). Then add other ingredients and simmer until thick enough to bottle. Yum :thunbs:

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm 

I don't know 'ezy sauce' Tris. Is it a packet of spices or a jar? Do you buy it at a supermarket or a specialty store?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm 

Food&Fish wrote:
Put them through the m/c
Add Basil and garlic to taste boil the crapper out of them till it thickens put the mix in beer bottles cap put them all in a 200 litre drum boil again
While they are boiling get the cheese salami and vino [wine ] dance and have a party

:thunbs: Food&Fish, you must have a little cajun in you! Not the same receipe but very close methods!!!
I use a similar receipe as Tristrin, except I use creole tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano, onions and garlic and banana peppers. Not the hot type. add the bay leaves to the jar just before canning. I use a regular blender to puree and creole tomatoes are watery and don't make a lot of sauce but I like the flavor... more to render down. I also sieve the seeds out and core the stem end. Older intestines prefer it without seeds!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 pm 

I make lots of it.
blogged it just the other day here.

Did pasta sauce yesterday and am doing another lot of that today, will blog it later on too.

HTH
Ali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:38 pm 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
Hi Granny Smith
"Wild's" Ezi-Sauce comes in a 375ml bottle (looks a bit like a stubby). I just buy it from the supermarket. Photo below:
Attachment:
Ezi Sauce 002 (Small).jpg
Ezi Sauce 002 (Small).jpg [ 32.32 KiB | Viewed 4257 times ]

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:50 pm 

BatonRouge Bill wrote:
Food&Fish wrote:
Put them through the m/c

:thunbs: Food&Fish, you must have a little cajun in you! Not the same receipe but very close methods!!!
I use a similar receipe as Tristrin, except I use creole tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano, onions and garlic and banana peppers. Not the hot type. add the bay leaves to the jar just before canning. I use a regular blender to puree and creole tomatoes are watery and don't make a lot of sauce but I like the flavor... more to render down. I also sieve the seeds out and core the stem end. Older intestines prefer it without seeds!

You forgot the wine cheese and dancing i am going to the old home town for 4 days this weekend [ 50 th annaeversary of the tobbaco and hops festival i was there for the first few ]
should be a lot of wine cheese amd dancing [hope margaret drives home i dont think i will be fit to :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm 

Thanks Tristrin. Can't say I've seen Ezy-Sauce at the supermarket, but then I didn't know to look for it. I'll check whether it's made it's way to Perth. Not everything in the ES makes it across the Nullabor.