View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAIN !!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 am 

Hey GS you may have more power than you realize, now where is that Twilight Zone Smiley

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:38 pm 

I think it would be kind of fun to have a car covered in little dents....

Reminds me of the mythbusters show where they tested to see if the golf ball dimpling effect that makes golf balls fly further, would make a car more efficient.

Attachment:
dimplecar.jpg
dimplecar.jpg [ 52.97 KiB | Viewed 3453 times ]

They took a car and covered it in an even thickness of clay, then drove a measured distance and measured the fuel consumption. Then they took out small divots all over the car making it look like a golfball. They piled the removed clay into the back seat of the car so the weight hadn;t changed, then ran the same distance/fuel test. The dimpled effect had an 11% increased fuel efficiency... :shock:

Bring on the dimpled cars..... :clap:

You can see further details here: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/myth ... pling-mpg/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:06 pm 

earthbound wrote:
Reminds me of the mythbusters show where they tested to see if the golf ball dimpling effect that makes golf balls fly further, would make a car more efficient.

Great concept !

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

Last edited by chillidude on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:19 pm 

We've had good rain north of Brisbane on and off all year. I'm in central Queensland at present, been plenty of rain out here as well.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 am 

Wicked storm at 2 am, only 11mm of rain and managed to stop another flooding, have made an official complaint to Dept of Local Govt about our council, any water from top of town now finds it's way into my yard, still no action from council to fix and was only contacted about it yesterday after I sent an email to CEO, I was told basically drainage would lucky to be fixed in the short term :bash: so later in the day I sent email informing the boffins that official complaint to the Dept, reply was a formal letter would be sent to me to try and settle on a suitable outcome :crazy: "SUITABLE OUTCOME" the only outcome is to fix the frack ing thing, imbeciles

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 pm 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Try A Current Affair or your local newspaper.

BTW I hear that the damage bill for the big storm is over $650 million - so far!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm 

It's something I really don't have time for GS at this time of year (seeding season), our local paper wouldn't publish anything against the Town Council or employee's, will see what the Dept has to say before I look at other avenues :swear:

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 pm 

Thats a bit poor of your local paper. My mum gets the local paper down in Denmark and they are always publishing stuff against the council.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 am 

We used to get flooding at our last house, I contacted the local council on three separate occasions and was basically told tough luck.

The next time it flooded I rang the local government member, it was on a Sunday and surprisingly the council were there Monday morning fixing it. The council engineer had a go at me for complaining to the councillor. :crazy:

Needless to say that bloke got my vote for the rest of his time with the council, he became the mayor eventually.

edit:speeling

LV aka Tony
My Blog

Last edited by Lord Viykor on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:33 am 

Don't know why EB, local paper is published by the Albany advertiser, I may write to them as they don't GAF about Narrogin Council so they may get something happening, will see what Tuesday brings, LV that's the next step, will right to the LM, he came around for the AP open day Faye spoke at here last year, he was impressed so may get a few extra points, will see what the pen pushers put in the formal letter they are sending first

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:01 pm 

Council has done a temporary fix again waiting for funds, dept of local govt told them to fix so now have to submit patch job pics to dept and they will sort :fart:

As for the rain :dunno: looked good for next week but has now disappeared, farmers did some dry seeding of canola banking on some May rain but looks like nothing will appear, may be a sad year for canola as it needs a long growing season, what was seeded has germinated and will suffer with lack of moisture, they were sort of banking on a good canola crop as most are not putting in wheat this way because of the $US rate and wheat price.
US had a good corn harvest with another bumper crop predicted, our wheat price is governed by the corn harvest in US beleive it or not so a bit of doom and gloom for the Broad Acre Farmers, fortunately the meat market is up (for the farmers, not so much for us that are buying it from the shop), backyard and city farmers really on good farm market to keep the economy going (still) so maybe another rocky year ahead, I'm not a whinging country boy here just outlining the facts and highlighting what one missed rain can do.
As a backyard farmer the crazy weather has all of my winter crop confused and some of the fruit trees as well, looks like 30c again by the weekend for Perth :help:

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 am 

pistolknight wrote:
As a backyard farmer the crazy weather has all of my winter crop confused and some of the fruit trees as well, looks like 30c again by the weekend for Perth :help:

I'll say - stupid high-20's in April and mid-to-high-20's in May has killed off a number of things I've tried to grow in the AP system; cabbages, spring onions, radishes. PITA :bat:

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm 

Weird stuff, bring on the cold weather and rain.... As soon as I get up and clean my gutters that is.... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 pm 

:god: Hey Nocky, since you seem to be the earthy embodyment of Huey the weather god can you please send some fricken rain my way :god:

If we don't get some soon i may have to give up bathing for the rest of the year, and nobody wants that :help:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:22 am 

If you want you can come and get some rain off me, I get Sh*t Loads of it! Just all in one hit :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next