View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAIN !!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:29 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
Hey, it's really raining here! :joy: :joy: :joy: The sound is just fantastic.

Of course, the white ants are now swarming, just to spoil the party. :bad: and the reticulation has only just completed its cycle, but who cares! It's raining.

I suppose by July I'll be cursing it, but right now I'm loving it.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: RAIN !!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:33 am 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
We had good rain here early March, (4th, 5th, 6th & 7th). But some more would be good, so hope it keeps coming accross.

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:34 am 

Really ? That's great. Still bone dry here in the hills. Lotta cloud and lightning action last night but not a drop out of it.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:39 pm 

Rained all the way from Narrogin to Corrigin and back this morning, started about 0230-0300hrs I think. I left NGN at 0340hrs and it was going well. And it was good steady rain, nothing was flooded and it wasn't too heavy to drive!

The weeds will be loving it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm 

Yeah, I wish..... Nothing here in Perth, lots of threats of rain, you could almost smell it in the air...

Watched the radar last night and saw lots of rain hitting north of Perth. Could also see the direction the rain was moving, so went and put the bore on. :dunno: Hopefully we will get some over the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am 

Unbelievable! I went to sleep this afternoon and it was dry and sunny, woke up for work a few minutes ago and there is thunder and there is a deluge outside! I won't be driving tonight I will be floating my way around the Great Southern!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am 

Did you get your wish EB or are you still mopping up?

Absolutely crazy damage this afternoon. Spent several hours on roofs putting tarps up. I was up on one roof (still raining) and looking around the area, every single roof had completely smashed in skylights and or polycarbonate sheeting - just decimated. 150,000 people without power - wow. the amount of tree material in the streets is just amazing at least a foot deep - trees just bare. And the ice - 4 hours after the storm I picked up a piece of ice in the laneway about 1metre long and about 150mm thick by 300mm deep. Fair enough it was just a lot of golf ball sized hail stuck together but still pretty amazing and it was everywhere.

Cars - swiss cheese - windows, golf ball roofs and bonnets - everywhere. Even the tin roofs are all dimpled like a golf ball.

Amazing stuff.

Don't get me started on the idiots on the roads - just idiots. However seeing cars floating in subways is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 am 

Heard about the storm on the news this morning. How did everyone else over there fare?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 am 

Wow, you guys been getting some crazy weather down there! I bet the pasture animals and wildlife catch hell in that stuff. I saw all the youtube stuff a couple weeks ago. Amazing stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am 

Tristrin wrote:
Heard about the storm on the news this morning. How did everyone else over there fare?

Highly variable Tristrin - I had some water pouring into part of the house thanks to a box gutter that didn't cope. But we were home, noticed it straight away and managed to keep it under control, though there's some plasterboard that's going to need replacing.

However, no serious damage, we didn't lose power and we didnt cop any of the huge hail either so we got off a lot lighter than many others I've heard about.

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:47 pm 

I just picked up what was going on..A cat 3 storm. I hope you guys all fair out allright. Stay safe!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 pm 

BRB, the cat 3 cyclone hit Queensland, N/E Aust. and a freak storm hit Perth area on the S/W coast, so a bit of action, weather wise, on both sides of Oz.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 pm 

I saw a car today and it was the funniest thing... Driving down the road a guy pulled up beside me and I had to look twice, his whole car was covered in little dents all over it.. At first I wondered what the hell had happened to cause such crazy dents, then I remembered yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:04 pm 

I was in york and got a good lightning show an a bit of rain, got call from daughter when in york and she said our house was flooded, got back and it was, had same drama last year almost to the day, all the work shire did then to fix the problem is partly in my back yard, partly in my house and partly burying the AP system (latter isn't a huge concern), we ended up with 41.4mm overnight and another 10mm today. good for the garden and fruit trees I suppose but another war with council :bash: but a few others in town worse off so will leave for a couple of days, they just can't admit they changed something at the top of the valley a couple of years ago that has caused problems no one has had for more than 20 years :dunno: in my case last year they tried to blame an unauthorized concrete drain pipe recently installed in our back lane by neighbor so he could drive his car into his drive over the culvert drain, we have actual proof the shire installed the said pipe over 20 years ago! recently installed :dunno:

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 am 

Location: Benger, 160kms south of Perth, Western Australia (Temperate/Mediterranean)
I hope my excitement about the rain starting wasn't the catalyst for that deluge! I don't think I'm that powerful.

One of our boys lost two cars (both write-offs) and had a window blow in with carpets ruined as a result. Quite some storm.