View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YABBIE'S
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm 

I have had a fair bit to do with yabbies over the past 15 odd years, from trapping to breeding, recipe idea's and home farming.

Ive learnt a lot and read a lot in that time and was lucky enough to have a very resourceful father at a young age in relation to all thing yabbie and daming.

Yabbies are an interesting creature and their instinctual habits amaze me... even after all this time.

I currently own a number of yab's that I breed, examine and experiment with (not on) and record everything in a journal Ive had for about 4 years now. Ive consulted local land owners and we have some excellent results over the years.

I currently am writing a cookbook which hopefully will be released next year some time.

If anyone has questions or queries about yabbies, gilgies, koonacs or marron feel free to ask.

If your interested in some of my trapping adventures, check me out here

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: YABBIE'S
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 am 

Quote:
I currently am writing a cookbook which hopefully will be released next year some time

Awesome. I'll look forward to that one Charlie :thumb:

Bender's Backyard
Bender's Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:11 pm 

a cookbook of yab recipes?

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 pm 

gazza wrote:
a cookbook of yab recipes?

yep. It has a lot of info about the yabbies themselves too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 pm 

Noice! Growing up with dams full of yabs and marron all we ever did was boil em up and eat with thousand island and tabasco sauce. Nowadays I think I'm ready to broaden my horizons so can't wait for this book! Should be a good market for it too, especially in country bookshops, aquaponics shops and the like...

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm 

Will it have marron thermador in it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:56 am 

The recipes can transition between most freshwater crustaceans, Ive never done a thermador, thats the one with the parcel of pastry surrounding the flesh mixture simo?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:09 pm 

More of a sauce used with lobster or crayfish in the half shell, just thought it would be interesting to see a marron version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_Thermidor :learn:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:24 pm 

Aah yes. Cant say Ive done an actual thermidor but many different takes on the butterfly'd shell/stuffed tail. More so mornays and cheese based sauces etc.

I like the sound of that, might give it a go. Ill give you a special mention in the book :thunbs:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 pm 

We used to catch crayfish during my boating teenage years, I was chief deckhand :thumb: and anchor puller. We would cook them fresh with bacon mm yum.
I used to make the white sauce with a little sherry and parmesan cheese served in shell cut in half and as they say these days "plated up" and slightly grilled till the cheese bubbled and turned golden brown. Aaah memories!
The yabbies would make a delectable appertiser done in the same way, though more of a taster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 pm 

Chief deckhand! Your one cool chick Faye! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 am 

That sounds great Charlie!
First question...
We have had yabbies for a while, and presently have two IBCs for two sizes, but feel there should be a third....how would you suggest grading them for maximum growth?

If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need.
Cicero

our Aquaponics thread
https://www.facebook.com/mccarthy.park
http://www.mccarthypark.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm 

Hi peasants :wave:

Your spot on, grading is important but grading by size isnt the only thing to take into consideration. Ill explain..

Firstly a couple of points to keep in mind.. yabbie growth rates rely heavily on temp, 20-28deg being optimal and below 16deg and they enter a state of reduced metobolic activity, basically hibernation. Obviously aeration at higher temps will improve DO levels and water quality.

Also make sure your PH levels dont become to acidic, this will soften the exoskeleton and promote disease therefore reducing activity. Try keep it above 7 - 7.5.

Although nutritional requirements of yabbies is relatively unknown, I like to stick to high protein diets like aquaculture pellets, potatoe and lupins. A few worms and snails now and then are also a good addition. Just keep an eye on left over food as you would already know. I think farmers feed at around 3% per body wieght per day but I wouldnt fuss on that number for what you are doing.

Ok, in relation to grading, there are a few ways to go about it. I wont go into them all but the system I use is relatively simple. For this you require 3 tanks. A juvenile tank, a breeding tank and a grow out tank.

The juvenile tank is the most important. It will be home to the babies and berried females. Females are removed about 2-3 weeks after brood. This needs a complex habitat, I use lots of hides with pipe cut offs (its a good idea to close one end) and a massive bunched up length of shade cloth.

The breeding tank is home to 1 male per 3 females at a stock density of around 8-12 yabbies per 1m2 of floor space. Once again, hides are crucial. There will be carnage in this tank, its impossible to avoid. Move the males to the grow out tank regularly and eat the females after a couple of broods and replenish with young from the juvenile tank. Young females are good to go at around 20-30g.

The grow out tank is all male occupied, I stock this at around 30 per 1m2 of floor space. Also a haven for carnage but thats the way it goes... usually when they mault. Yabbies will grow faster in an all male situation and in fact research into mono-sexing and hybrid species is likely to intensify and increase production substantially over the next decade within the farming world.

Ive read some really good articles by an australian marine biologist Dr Craig Lawrence who bred a Cherax albidus with a Cherax rotundus which produced only male offspring, quite possibly might become the future of aussie yabbie farming.

More than what you asked for sorry but I hope this helps. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm 

Wow, Charlie, that is great information-thanks! We did some grading over the weekend.....by size....but will rethink it all now, and get a juvenile tank....and check the pH.....Thank you so much for the detail! :thumb:

If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need.
Cicero

our Aquaponics thread
https://www.facebook.com/mccarthy.park
http://www.mccarthypark.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:29 pm 

Great post Charlie, thanks for sharing that info :cheers:

Bender's Backyard
Bender's Aquaponics System